News & Events
Library & Information Services Databases
- Databases by Name/Subject
- Databases by Format
- What's New
Complete Alphabetical List A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Search by Subject
For searches by format types:
News Regarding Dickinson's Databases
Available Spring 2014
Children's Literature and Childhood
Primary sources related to the experience of childhood in the long nineteenth century, including books & periodicals for children, material related to education, pamphlets produced by child welfare groups, documents & photos related to children and crime, newspapers produced by youths, and more.
Mapping the World: Maps and Travel Literature
19th-century maps and travel literature from several UK and US collections.
Religion, Society, Spirituality, and Reform
Pamphlets, periodicals, manuscripts and other documents relating to religion and social reform in the 19th century, mostly in the UK and US.
World News Connection Archive
Access to a historical archive (1995-2013) of news from all over the world, translated into English. A useful resource for those who do not know a foreign language yet need a more international perspective for their research.
JSTOR Jewish Studies
Journals that cover historical and regional aspects of Jewish studies. 55 titles as of June 2014, including content dating back to 1889, and titles in English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, and Hebrew.
Thematic, interactive maps of US census data. Create customized reports at the state, county, census tract, block group, and zip code level. Create slideshows from maps. Contains entire US Census history, the American Community Survey, the Religious Congregations and Membership Study from 1980 to 2000, infoGROUP's American Church List 2009 data, and 2002 carbon emissions data from the Vulcan Project.
Associated Press Collections
Three collections of documents and images from the Associated Press Corporate Archives: News & Internal Communications; US City Bureaus; and Washington DC Bureau. Material includes news stories and features as they appeared off the AP wire, AP publications, and personal papers of reporters and administrators. Coverage Range: varies, mostly 1930s-2000s.
Chatham House Archive
Publications and meetings of the Royal Institute of International Affairs, one of the world's leading think-tanks. Full text of meetings and speeches at Chatham House, with audio recordings from 1966-2008, publications, reports, and briefing papers. Coverage Range: 1920-2008.
Indigenous Peoples: North America
Manuscripts, indigenous newspapers, books, and other publications exploring the political, social, and cultural history of Native Peoples of North America. Coverage Range: 1665-1988, but mostly 1880-1920 and 1969-1988
Liberty Magazine 1924-50
Searchable, full-text archive of popular general interest American magazine, with full-page images of every page of every issue. Browsable by date, author, or artist.
Searchable database of play scripts and scholarly works on theory, criticism, and practice. Can search by cast size (including monologues for auditions) or play length. Includes eras from Ancient Greece to the present.
Manuscript Women's Letters & Diaries
High-quality images of original manuscripts from the American Antiquarian Society, covering 200 years, extensively indexed by name, date, place, personal event (e.g., "childbirth," or "death of parent"), and other topics. Coverage Range: 1750-1950, esp. strong for 1800s. Purchase made possible through a bequest of Eleanor Cogan (Honorary Doctor of Liberal Arts, 2003), library volunteer and longtime friend of the college.
North American Women's Letters & Diaries
American and Canadian women's diaries and correspondence, extensively indexed by name, date, place, historical or personal event (e.g., "childbirth," or "death of parent"), and more. Includes biographical information on the authors when it is available. Coverage Range: Colonial Times to 1950. Funded in part by the Mary Moser Memorial Library Fund.
Added Fall 2013
World War II: U.S. Documents on Planning, Operations, Intelligence, Axis War Crimes, and Refugees
This module of History Vault presents several major collections of records on World War II, including Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Map Room Files, Records of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Records of the War Department Operations Division, U.S. Navy Action and Operational Reports, Records of the Office of War Information, Papers of the War Refugee Board, and Top Secret Studies on U.S. Communications Intelligence During World War II. These records are supplemented with smaller collections documenting U.S. planning and participation in World War II.
BioOne additional content
Focus on biological, ecological and environmental sciences. Primarily consists of journals published by small societies and non-commercial publishers. Includes access to additional titles in BioOne.2 collection.
African-American Historical Newspapers
A cross-searchable collection of historical content from leading African-American newspapers. Titles included are: Atlanta Daily World (1931-2003), Chicago Defender (1910-1975), New York Amsterdam News (1922-1993), Philadelphia Tribune (1912-2001), Pittsburgh Courier (1911-2002), and Baltimore Afro-American (1893-1988). From ProQuest Historical Newspapers.
American Indian Histories and Cultures
Primary documents such as diaries, travel journals and other manuscripts, treaties, speeches, artwork and rare books dating from the earliest contact with European settlers, to photographs and newspapers from the mid-twentieth century.
Historical Chinese Newspapers
A collection of 22 English-language newspapers published in China between 1832 and 1953. Part of the Historical Newspapers database.
Full-color, full-page access to current newspapers from around the world, in their native language, with back issues for up to 60 days. Searchable by keyword, browsable by region, country and topic. News on homepage is shown in English by default, but many other languages can also be selected.
Audio Drama: L.A. Theatre Works
More than 300 dramatic works in streaming audio from the archive of the nation’s premiere radio theatre company. The plays include significant dramatic literature of the nineteenth, twentieth, and twenty-first centuries.
Women and Social Movements, International
Primary documents including letters and diaries of activists, and proceedings of historic conferences.
Europe and Africa: Commerce, Christianity, Civilization, and Conquest
Documents some of the motivations, activities, and results of the European conquest of Africa in the nineteenth century. Primary documents including monographs, manuscripts, and newspaper accounts covering key issues of economics, world politics and strategy during the European powers' "Scramble for Africa." Part of Nineteenth Century Collections Online (NCCO).
LGBT Thought and Culture
A collection of texts, letters, speeches, interviews and ephemera covering the political evolution of gay rights, and memoirs, biographies, poetry, and works of fiction non-fiction that illuminate the lives of LGBT individuals and community. Part of LGBT Studies, which includes LGBT Studies in Video, though the collections can be searched or browsed separately.
St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture
Focusing on popular culture in the United States. Major topics include: television, movies, theater, art, books, magazines, radio, music, sports, fashion, health, politics, trends, community life and advertising. Entries include bibliographies.
Added Spring 2013
- Early American Newspapers, 1690-1922
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets
- Data-Planet Statistical Ready Reference
- International Historical Statistics
- Expanded access to Web of Science backfiles
- History Vault
- African American Archives
- World Scholar: Latin America and the Caribbean
- Mental Measurements Yearbook & Tests in Print
- Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE)
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and Rome
- Data Citation Index
- Africa-Wide Information
- Historical Digital Archives
- Education & Religion Collections added to CREDO Reference
- World Politics Review
- Academic Complete E-Book Collection
- Added to JSTOR: Life Sciences Collection
- Added to JSTOR: Arts & Sciences IV Collection
Added Fall 2012
- LGBT Studies in Video
- Jane's Security News Module
- Social Sciences Premier Collection (ProQuest)
- Praeger Security International
- Black Studies in Video
- Benezit Dictionary of Artists
- Yomidas Rekishikan (Yomiuri Shimbun)
Added Summer 2012
- Biography Reference Center (Ebsco)
- Churchill Archive
- Contemporary Theatre, Film, and Television (new online format)
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online, Part II: New Editions [integrated with our existing ECCO Part I access] (Gale-Cengage)
- Emily Dickinson's Correspondences (U of Va)
- Health & Psychosocial Instruments (HaPI)
- Literary Reference Center (Ebsco)
- National Geographic Magazine Archive, 1888 to 1994 (Gale-Cengage), including all full color images and maps
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online Archive (Gale-Cengage), including:
- British Politics and Society
- Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange
- British Theatre, Music, and Literature: High and Popular Culture
- Corvey Collection of European Literature, 1790-1840 (English, French, German)
- Points of View Reference Center (Ebsco)
- PrivCo -- Private Company Data
- RIPM (Retrospective Index to Music Periodicals) now has Full Text
- Yomidas Rekishikan (Yomiuri Shimbun) - major Japanese newspaper
Added Spring 2012
- Brill's New Pauly (Classical Studies online encyclopedia)
- Encyclopedia of Islam, 2d and 3d editions online, Brill
- Scientific Electronic Library Online (SciELO): Open access science, social sciences, and arts & humanities journals, with an emphasis on those published in Latin America and the Caribbean countries.
- Credo Reference "Gender and Women's Studies Collection" (26 online reference books)
- The SUNDAY Times (London), 1821-2006 full-text [NewsVault cross-searching coming Summer 2012]
- Medieval Travel Writing full-text
- First World War Personal Experiences multimedia full-text
- The Listener Archive
- The Making of the Modern World, Part I & II
- Financial Times Digital Archive , 1882-2007
- The Economist Digital Archive, 1842-2006
- The Times (London) Digital Archive, 1785-2006
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers, Part I & II