- Student Computing Support
- Technology Spaces
- Communication & Networks
- Training & Guidance
- Borrow Equipment
- Enterprise Systems
News & Events
About Dickinson's Password Self Service
LIS provides members of the Dickinson community with a Password Self Service web page that allows you to retrieve your lost password at any time, any where, from any computer with a web browser (Internet Explorer 6+ or Safari).
For example, if you are a Mac user and do not normally log onto the network to use your computer, you may not remember your network password when you use one of the library's Windows machines. Or perhaps you are trying to access an online resource and have been locked out of your account by entering the wrong password too many times.
You can also use Password Self Service to create a new password.
In any of these situations, Password Self Service gives you the ability to retrieve or set a new network account password without having to contact the Helpdesk. But to use this service, you have to register first. Here's how to do that.
Registering for Password Self Service
Before you register ...
Before registering your password, here are some rules to keep in mind:
- If you are creating a new password, you cannot use one that you have already used.
- Passwords must have at least eight (8) characters, must contain at least one (1) number, one (1) special character (*&^$#!%), one (1) capital letter and one (1) lowercase letter. For example, R0$ewell! is a well-formed password, if it doesn't violate the next rule. (Of course, don't use this one!)
- You cannot use 3 letters from within your username.
- You cannot use any spaces.
- If you use a Mac in any of your classes, your password must be between eight and 10 characters.
- To configure your account, you must have a working network password. If your password has expired or your account is locked, email the Helpdesk at (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reset it.
- Finally, the Self Service works with what is called your network password, not your Banner or other passwords. For more information about passwords, look under General Computing on the Online Computer Training Page.
Step by step
- Point your browser to this URL: https://helpdesk.dickinson.edu/password. If you click on the link, it will open a new window so you can follow the instructions in this one.
- At the "Username" prompt, you will need to enter your username and click "Continue".
3.You will be asked to choose and answer 2 questions—you willl have to answer these to recover or reset your password when you actually use the Service.
4. Click “Select…” to select your questions.
5. Once you have chosen and answered your questions click “Submit”.
6. Once you have clicked “Submit” you will see the following screen.
7. Now you are ready to use the Password Self Service.
Special instructions for those locked out from a Windows PC in the library
If you are in the library using a Windows PC, and you can't recall your password to log in, you can use Password Self Service Direct Login. Here's how it works
- At the login screen of your Windows based PC press CTRL+ALT+DEL. Before you login click "Cancel". (Note: If you are using a Mac you MUST use a web browser, either Safari or Internet Explorer, to reset your password/account.)
Once you have clicked "Cancel" you will see the following screen. Click "Yes".
You will see the following screen after you click "Yes". Type your username and click "Continue . "
- Finally you can Change your password, Unlock your account or you can Modify your profile.
Think of it as a flu shot
Think of registering for this service as getting a flu shot -- it's a bit of a pain to do, and you may never need it, but when you do, you have to have already done it. And it's better to do it at your earliest convenience. Unlike a flu shot, though, you will only need to configure the account once. So please, go ahead and do it.